Friday, June 5, 2009

224 (47) Laura Has Absolutely the Best Hands!

Good morning and Blue Sky Friday to ya! Seriously, have you LOOKED outside? Powder blue skies, vivid green landscape, sunny and quiet but for the occasional drone of small airplanes. Phones are silent and my coworker hasn't come in yet. It's one of those mornings that makes me glad to be in Chicago in the springtime. Plus, the weekend is nearly here!! Laundry and leisure time and a change-up in the routine. After 5 days of 4:30 a.m. starts, Saturday's 8am sleep-in is going to seem positively decadent.

So, it's been a busy week. I didn't dip below 222, but neither did I hit 226. I maintained my weight, and without creating a significant caloric deficiency that's the simple truth. I had some donuts this week, 2 drive-thrus, and a couple of nights with only 4 hours of sleep. Not a winning combination for weight loss. The journaling helped keep the van on the mountain (even if I did drive off the road, so to speak).

Alright... the challenge for the weekend is to make smart nutritional choices. I'm going to duplicate the diet I enjoy during the working week: morning veggies, lean proteins at lunch, fruits and nuts (snack) and a half portion at dinnertime. The last 4 weekends have seen 4 pound increases in my weight. I have a better shot at reaching 219 by not eating up to 226 tomorrow and Sunday. 8am workout tomorrow, a run tonight and Sunday....yes, this is do-able.

So... my Thursday sand volleyball partner, Laura has the best hands out there! She passed and set the ball so beautifully, time and time again (shaking head in wonder), we had... so much fun yesterday! We were both spiking and running and diving and playing as a team. There were some great rallies and one insanely good play (a backwards kick at the back line sent the ball over the net, still in play, and after 3 more dives into the sand, we got the point. It was the perfect summer day. Surrounded by friends, playing with a lovely partner (great attitude, willing as a new day), and feeling healthy and vital and ALIVE... it was a golden moment in a very lucky life.

and when I woke up this morning, stiff and sore and 30 minutes late to the gym, I staggered onto a treadmill and walked out the stiffness. Seems so counterintuitive. Muscles hurt. Solution: work them out. I now merely feel elderly instead of ancient!

Alright. Work beckons. Take care of yourselves this weekend! Wish me luck (and self control) and I'll catch ya on Monday! (earlier, if I have good news to report).

Frank

No comments: