Tuesday, June 23, 2009

221 (44) LIFE? or Writing about life??





Good Evening!

I've missed these posts! In one way... it's as if writing on this blog has become letters to a friend. Good stuff. And why not, right? Life is good, and that's just as solid a reason to write as when there are struggles, too.

Anyways, I hope this note finds you well. It's been a busy couple of days. Ran my 2nd official run... a 5K this time, in Mt. Prospect with my coworker. Excellent time... just under 27 minutes! 2 friends ran with me, but after the first block we all split up to run at our own pace. Running is such a solitary pursuit, even when surrounded by other runners. Almost as if we're all islands, moving through oceans of time and water. Well, it was a GREAT run, and I think I'm hooked on 5Ks for a while. Next up... Chinatown 5K in July!

(laughing) after the run, I met up with other friends and we played sand volleyball for 5 and a half hours! It's very interesting how 30 minutes spent running seemed a lifetime, and half a day of volleyball just flew by. My perception of time is peculiar, but welcome. Didn't win a single game of pick-up volleyball, but I had such a fun time with my friends (and we went on to sweep 4 wins in our league games last night! Thank you, Saturday Practice)! The craziest moment was when I accidentally slipped (while chasing a wild volleyball) and took a slide through this nasty pool of fetid water. Blech! Good thing my mouth was closed. I stood, covered in muck and mud and water and worms! The water's been there a while, and I shudder to think what got on my skin that day. Double yuck! But... my friends thought I slid on purpose, so... not a total loss! I'm clumsy, but I looked good doing it. That's something, right?

Weight loss! By accident and design I took last week off from the gym. Tuesday-Friday: nothing! Just volleyball, and that's not a huge calorie burn. I felt VERY guilty, but it turned out to be a good thing. Gotta let the body heal from time to time, it's crucial. And... I ended up being fresh for the run, juiced to be back in the gym this week, and saw a GREAT number on the scale this morning: 221! C'mon, 219.... I'm so close! Tonight it's bananas, almonds and a granola bar for dinner, with water to stay hydrated. Volleyball, then gym, then back to work for a couple more things. Late night, but needed. Wish me luck. It's in the long watches of the night that I get off track in so many ways.

Today's creations make me laugh. The sketch on the papertowel I call "Sandboarding!" A friend commented that was a sport they would be doing, and the image has stuck in my head. I'd like to sharpen up this theme, and see if a cool composition is there. Doesn't that sound like fun? Sandboard! (I just learned to snowboard, must be on my mind...) The other offering is a composite I call: Tuesday Breakfast. I put myself in the photo to show you the (mental) perspective. There are days it is a MOUNTAIN of broccoli. I love it. Keeps me full, saves me on the scale and I like the taste! But it IS a mountain. (the photo is of me, post 5K on Saturday).

Alright, I need to get out of here. Volleyball in just over an hour, and it's 30 minutes to get there! Catch ya later! Off to see the Harry Potter exhibit at the museum tomorrow. Photos to come!

Thanks again! Be well, have a nice night. Summer has (at last) landed! With a humid vengance! That's alright. It's about time! :)

Frank

1 comment:

Mika said...

Congrats on your run!

Now I'm really flattered! Wow! Look at that sketch! I've got a good month to wait for my sandboarding adventure, and that sketch is a great reminder of my anticipation :)

Good job, again!

Fun composition! Excellent!

Thanks for that post!