Thursday, January 14, 2010

From the Glow of the Computer Screen

First a famine, then a feast...

Okay....I was trying to think of one of the funniest things that's happened in the last few months.

Given a choice, anything that results from TRYING to look good but ends up with a clumsy finish...that's solid gold in my book. There was a time I fell down a waterfall, slapping at my face and waving my arms all about (I had walked smack dab into a spider web and saw a fuzzy something in my peripherals...yeah, thought it was a spider...ugg). or (laughing) there was the time I thought I'd try to jump over a garbage can on the sidewalk, totally flubbed it and went sprawling. Of course, doing a hand stand (ta-da!) and then splitting my pants in front of my girlfriend...well, my face never turned so red, so fast. Cool and clumsy...perfect combination for humor.

Thinking on it now, what REALLY made it funny was that my friends were right there, seeing it all unfold. Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased, and shared laughter... well that's just a beautiful thing.

I guess the funniest thing that happened recently was convincing my coworker back in November that the word "gullible" had indeed been removed from the dictionary. It was priceless. J's got such a good heart, she went along with it hook, line and sinker, going so far as to say: "Thank Goodness! Now when my kids tell me I'm gullible, I'll say, 'Sorry, not in the dictionary!'." We were laughing about that one for a few weeks.

On a funny/yet darker note... Yesterday, I popped up at the gym, totally scaring my friends as they were winding through a workout. I was running late, and simply "appeared" at their elbows, between the treadmills. Richard jumped about a foot in the air, and Mitch and I were howling with laughter for 3 minutes.* Poor Richard. I didn't mean to scare him that bad. It was funny, but next time, I think I'll just go with a joke about a bartender.

*this scare is second only to 2 other classic scares: my brother hid in a hamper for 20 minutes to pop out at the exact right moment. Years later, my brother-in-law hid in a closet for one of the best all-time scares around! I was in on it, and I jumped about a mile, too.

Life is tricky, no doubt about it. Thank goodness there's laughter along the way to keep things lively.


So tell me.... why was the little ant confused?

-because all of his uncles were ants.


Share a joke with a friend today. Chocolate works pretty well, too. :)

No comments: