Thursday, January 14, 2010

Be the Change You Want To See In the World

A good friend reminded me of this famous Gandhi quotation. It's an elegant reminder for me. I read the same quote in Memphis this last weekend, on a poster at the National Civil Rights Museum. Funny how there is so much wisdom out there in the world, and yet we're not ready for it until, well, until we're ready.

This quote makes me want to learn more, much more, about the people who've given so much to the world, stirring us to action, to care, to love... Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Gandhi and Mother Teresa, to name a few that've been rattling around in my head for some time. How did they cross the the gulf between Self and Service?

Ah. Here is, perhaps, a clue (also from Gandhi): “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”

In truth, this was part of the problem with the last decade in my life. I did not know myself, nor trust that I had the tools to bring about awareness (and ultimately, action). I'm starting fresh, this time with faith and a healthy appreciation for the ridiculous. To live well is to laugh often, and to humbly offer service to others.


I now have the time to study the lives and works of these humanitarians, live in a state of love, catch up on laundry and work on syncing body, mind and soul.


But next up, a lovely afternoon nap! It's the simple things, really. I fear I'm becoming hobbit-like, including the hairy toes.

More to come.
Thanks!


No comments: