Tuesday, April 26, 2011

(226 pounds) Formerly Fat & Slow, Finally Ready to Go!

Good morning!

I did it!  A 5 mile run last night!  Unremarkable time of 58:57, but I'm happy all the same (even if I DID feel fat and slow and imagined I had a bellyful of potatoes jostling around).  My previous run was last Wednesday, and it's true what they say about losing the edge if you have too many rest days between workouts.  18 days til the marathon.  I'm going to allow just a single rest day between runs from here on out. 

To that end, I'm taking today off and I'll log my 10 mile run tomorrow morning starting at 5am.  And for THAT to happen, I need to be in bed by 9pm tonight. 

Which leads to today's dilemma, or what I like to refer to as "a nice problem to have."

I can pop over to my friend's house for an evening of watching "The Biggest Loser" (including lots of good food and snarky comments).  I can also spend the night at home getting our apartment in order (including the folding and sorting of 3 baskets of clean laundry).  

I'm going to stay at home.  My girlfriend's 2-1/2 year old daughter will be with us tonight, and she's such a fun little girl, I want to take the night to straighten up the house and play with her til she falls asleep with a big happy smile on her face.  Too often it seems like she's subjected to our schedule and our timelines (last night we brought her to the childcare at the gym during our quick run --  I think she really just wanted to stay home and run around in circles and knock things over and generally be a cute toddler in her own home, covering us with crazy hugs and kisses).

As I said, nice problems to have.  :)

Food and nutrition are going well, and I'm journaling my meals again (my little food diary is next to the computer here).  I don't know why, but as long as I write down what I'm eating I become very conscious of the quality and amount of food, and better control seems to almost naturally take place.  I feel greatly relieved when that happens.  It seems like an extraordinarily positive result for something that is relatively easy to do (every time I eat something, I write it down in my book).

My faith life continues to mature.  The lesson that came before me this morning was accepting that God's Love is greater than my decisions.  I can love without an agenda.  What a relief!  I've been stressing as to how I can be a good disciple to others, relaying God's message of hope and love, and all without passing judgement or "muddying the message" with my own ego and its opinions.  "Love without agenda, and leave the rest to the Holy Spirit" is a wonderful message, especially as it elegantly released me from trying to control everything.

That's been my day so far.  I hope your Tuesday is off to a great start.

Take care,
Frank

No comments: