Wednesday, May 11, 2011

(weight unkown) 3 days til the marathon

Good morning.

I've been reading that restricting your overall calories is one of the best ways to lose weight and live longer. I realized that it's been a long time since I've felt hungry on a regular basis, and that came as a surprise to me.  I think I'm eating too much.  I'm a bit alarmed by this thought, so I'm going to experiment with calorie reduction.  I'm going to cut my intake of processed foods by 50%. I don't know how this will play out, but to start with, I will eat half portions of anything that is considered a "processed" food.

My brother-in-law Matt is my height and quite a bit lighter than I am (he is around 185 most days). We both run, and I have heard him say on many occasions that the biggest boost to his weight loss (and current weight maintenance) is cutting his portions in half. There's more to the story, but that was the main point. Seeing a living example of weight loss and weight control gives me hope that I'm close to finding "a good fit" for my goals. I shall become a scientist of myself in this little journey towards healthy weight control. A 35 pound weight loss will put me at 195, a wonderful goal for my 6'4" frame. 

This strategy feels correct, and I wonder where it will lead me.

Allergies are okay, though I just sneezed a bunch of times. Took my last Sudafed this morning and I will dip out at lunch to pick up some Claritin (or generic brand) at Target. I think I've had undiagnosed allergies for most of my life. I always chalked it up to "a summer cold", though they've never been severe, just irritating.

Did I tell you that I'm running this marathon without an iPod?  In my mind, this is akin to announcing I'm running barefoot!  I've come to learn that when I run without headphones I am much more in tune with my surroundings, the crowd, my body and my heart.  I slip into prayer as I run, and my mind just kind of drifts away.  It's like an "out of body" experience, but very much "in the body" too.  I wonder what prayers I will offer up to God.  This might be the best time to quiet my requests and instead practice my listening skills.  I guess we'll see.  3-1/2 days away. 

Take care.  Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope your week is a sweet one.

Frank

1 comment:

Mika said...

Oh my! I've missed so much of you, I didn't even know you're about to run a marathon! I admit, I've stayed away for too long.

Good luck is all I can say at this point - I'm sure you'll manage, because of all of your running. I did a marathon myself six years ago, and the only thing that got me through it was the promise I'd made to my younger brother. I had ran just a few times before, if one is not counting runs from ten years earlier. But I managed.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll tell all about it later on :)